Hexcorp chair decoration project

Content-warning: dronekink

I'm an idiot. A resourceful idiot.

I recently changed my chair for a pretty basic ikea one (a Markus one, specifically). It comes with a mesh-like back that's relatively transparent.

I don't know why, I don't know when, but I suddenly felt compelled to mod it a bit by adding an Hexcorp logo on the back.

Obviously, this logo has to be lit up in a deep pink-purple color.

I used some purple electro-luminescent light ribbon found on some chinese marketplace (EL wire, around 5$ each), some string and hand-sewing, and some black electrical tape to hide the excess.

For reference, I exclusively used a buttonhole stitch for holding the ribbon, as it's been the easiest and sturdiest for me when I needed to stitch something thick on some fabric.

I was lucky, since I purchased this EL ribbon to have it under hand for my sewing projects in case I wanted to play with some more... cyber/neon aesthetics, but I didn't yet encounter any idea I wanted to implement, so it was laying around.

I haven't tried it in the dark, but it already shows as a faint but present glow in the light of my room.

Anyways. Let's build!

The build

This build will be mostly shown in images, with a short description. I won't go too much into the process, but I'll describe the images in a textual form.

For those who follow me on Mastodon, yes, this article is pretty much a more detailed thread on the build.

An ikea chair, with a hexcorp logo blueprint and neon purple EL ribbon sitting on it

I started by unscrewing the back of the chair, which forced me to unscrew the whole plate so I used my drill to quickly remove everything. Then I unzipped it from the bottom of the chair, and it slid off pretty easily.

The back of the chair, in the process of having its main plate unscrewed

I struggled a bit with flipping the back up to work on its inside, but managed to make it lay flat after a bit of a fight. This allowed me to trace the pattern on the fabric using a white drawing chalk I had laying around; this makes for a much easier work than using the paper itself as stencil.

The hexcorp logo, imprinted on the chair using some white chalk

The first stitches were very painful to do due to the width of the wire; I had nothing to hold it in place, so I required a few tries to properly tie it at the end. I'm also still not used to doing end stitches by hand, so I took some time to properly tie it up.

Sewing starting, the ribbon is following the chalk pattern

Once I got myself a wooden plank inside, I had a huge boost as it was much more comfortable to work on, especially with my floodlight showing everything clearly. This has allowed me to progress to around a third of the work before I needed to re-spool it as I didn't have any thread left.

A more advanced step, showing around two thirds of the logo being sewn

Once the sewing was done, I plugged in the battery to make sure everything was working fine, I was a bit afraid of putting too much tension on the sharp corners inside the logo, but it appears to work fine.

Sewing finished, so I did a test light-up to see how it looked like

Some wet rag and a few swipes later, the back of the chair is now looking pretty clean for the inside. I also took the time to cover the excess ribbon using some electric tape to hide it. There is a lot more unused ribbon, which I will probably use to draw my symbol under the logo, but this will be left for another time, as I was really sick, and tired at this point.

The chalk has been cleaned up, leaving a pretty clean purple ribbon with its extra end taped in black electric tape

Putting up the back cover on the frame was a real pain, the lower part is stretched very thin and was hard to close by hand, so I had to improvise by using some wire to move the zipper closed. I screwed everything back using the drill for most of the work, finishing the last efforts using my wrench to properly tighten it, then M helped me with fitting it on the rest of the chair again.

The finished and lit-up result, my chair resting close to my desk

What started as a random dumb project came out great, and even if I've been really sick those past days, I feel pretty proud of this result.