Remember that in caramel making, you musn't interact with the liquid in any way, otherwise the mix will crystallize and it will be unusable.
- ice-water bath
- pinch of coarse salt
- 1/2tsp liquid pure vanilla extract
- 550mL (250g~) heavy cream
- 70mL water
- 100g sugar
- heat sugar and water in a pot, medium-high heat, until the mix boils and sugar dissolves.
- reduce heat to medium, keep until sugar turns light-dark amber, 5 to 7 minutes approx~ usually
- immediately remove from heat, and whisk in the cream (the caramel is hot so there may be projections as you put in the cream, take precautions as needed)
- return to medium heat, and cook until sugar melts completely and mixture boils, stirring slowly
- remove from heat, and pour into a bowl set in an ice-water bath
- let caramel cool, stirring slowly and regularly, and adding the vainlla and salt, for around 10 minutes
- once it's cooled off at room temperature, pour into pots and refrigerate at least 2 hours before using